YORKSHIRE, England's largest county originally consisted of three 'Ridings' (Thirds) - East, North and West, but in 1974 Local Government was drastically reformed and the traditional Ridings were abolished in favour of a system of four Metropolitan counties, East Yorkshire, North Yorkshire, West Yorkshire and South Yorkshire. However, East Yorkshire was renamed Humberside which included part of North Lincolnshire on the south side of the Humber. This entailed considerable boundary changes and much of Yorkshire, especially to the north and the east. was lost to other administrative areas, causing much controversy. After much campaigning the 'East Riding of Yorkshire' was reinstated but it still lost some of its historic area to North Yorkshire.
KINGSTON UPON HULL
HULL, or Kingston Upon Hull to give it its correct name, is the only city in this part of Yorkshire. Now somewhat depleted, the port was once one of Britain's largest ports and developed at the point where the River Hull joins the Humber Estuary where deep sea fishing and whaling docks were once part of the scene. Considerable renovation of the area has left the working dock area to the east of the town and they are now given over to imports from all over the world together with ferry connections to the continent.
The city will become the European City of Culture in 2017.
When it was completed in 1980 the Humber Bridge (4626ft) was the longest suspension bridge in the world and gave the city its much needed connection to the south.
The city gained some notoriety on St George's Day 1642.
A panel in the so called Plotting Room at Ye Olde White Harte pub in Silver Street
tells of the events of 23rd April of that year::
‘ Whilst Sir John Hotham, the Governor of Hull, was giving a dinner party he received an intimation from the King that His Majesty, who was then only four miles from the town, deigned to dine with him that day. The Governor, filled with surprise at the unexpected news, retired to his private room (since called The Plotting Room) and sent for Alderman Pelham, the M.P for the Borough. It was then resolved to close the gates against the King and his followers and a message was dispatched to his Majesty informing him of the decision. The soldiers were called to arms, the bridge drawn up, the gates closed and the inhabitants confined to their houses. About 11 o’clock the King appeared at Beverley Gate but the Governor refused to allow him to enter the walls. The King then called upon the Mayor but that official fell upon his knees and swore that he could not assist as the gates were guarded by soldiers. Whereupon the King, after much strong discussion and
proclaiming Hotham a traitor, withdrew to Beverley.’
The preserved foundations of Beverley Gate in the heart of the bustling shopping center bear a plaque which testifies to this first overt act of The Civil War on St. George’s Day in 1642.
Many of the old buildings have on the waterfront have been renovated for use as residential and commercial premises leaving a lasting legacy for generations to come.
Even the Victorian toilets are in pristine condition.
At the confluence of the Hull and the Humber known as 'Sammy's Point is 'The Deep' , a charitable public aquarium which was opened in 2002. Said to be the world's only submarium 2,500,000 litres of water fill tanks containing thousands of sea creatures. It is also a centre for marine research.