The Central Criminal Court known as The Old Bailey, was built on the site of the old Newgate prison. Old Bailey is in fact the name of the street, off Newgate Street and Ludgate Hill in London
A plaque which can be seen in a corridor at The Old Bailey, tells us :
'Near this site William Penn and William Mead were tried in 1670
for preaching to an unlawful assembly in Grace Church Street'
'This tablet commemorates the courage and endurance of the jury
who refused to give verdict against them, although locked up for two nights
and were fined for their final verdict of not guilty.
The case of these jurymen was reviewed on a writ of Herbaeus Corpus.
Chief Justice C.J Vaughan delivered the opinion of the court,
Which established the ‘Right of Juries’ to give their verdict
According to their convictions.’