Wednesday, 31 July 2013

ISLE OF MAN Lock-up at Peel

 
This original lock-up, known as The Black Hole, at Peel is situated in the basement of
The Leece Museum, East Quay, IM5 1AR.
 
 
 
PEEL
 
Photo's by Roy Pledger
 
 



The building was the courthouse between the early 1700's and the late 1800's.
 


Saturday, 13 July 2013

SOMERSET. Lock-ups at Milbourne Port, Somerton and Watchett.



These three lock-ups fall into the 'small town' lock-up category
in that they are part of a local authority building.



ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo



The lock-up at Milbourne Port is situated in the former Guildhall
which is now a PRIVATE HOUSE, 6& 7 High Street, DT9 5AG
The actual lock-up was situated to the left of the very fine entrance door.

PLEASE RESPECT PRIVATE PROPERTY




oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo




The lock-up at Somerton is attached to the rear of the Market House, Market Place, TA11 7LX, formerly also the Town Hall, and probably dates to the early 19th century.
 
 
 

SOMERTON

OS Grid Reference: ST4905428525
OS Grid Coordinates: 349054, 128525
Latitude/Longitude: 51.0538, -2.7282

 
Photo by Colin Sinnott with expressed permission
 


The building was Grade 11 listed 17.4.1959 (No.262966) and described as :

Market and Town Hall. C17 origins. By 1841 focus of the meat market
but also used by local magistrates until 1870 - west porch is a former lock-up.
Owned by Lord Ilchester, it was sold to the town in 1913.
Listing NGR: ST4906228526

'Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.







oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

 

 

 

 

The Court Leet lock-up at Watchet is likewise situated, at the rear of the old
Market House in West Street, TA23 0AN

 
 

 
 

WATCHET

OS Grid Reference: ST0707443420
OS Grid Coordinates: 307074, 143420
Latitude/Longitude: 51.1824, -3.3309


Photo's by Roy Pledger


Prior to the early 1800's, the Court Leet was responsible for law and order in  Watchet. Prominent local  men took up various duties to administer justice at Court Leet Sessions which were held at the Bell Inn, handily placed across the road from the lock-up.








 


 






 







The building was Grade 11 listed 12.6.1950 (No.264619) and the report referred to a small 'lock-up' under the external staircase at the north-west end.
Listing NGR: ST0707443420

Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence: PSI Click-use licence number C2008002006.








 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Post card of Watchet probably early 20th century
 
 
 
 
 
ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo


 









 

SOMERSET. Lock-up at Wrington and demolished lock-up detail.


The lock-up at Wrington is quite different to other Somerset lock-ups in that it also incorporated an office or watch area for the Constable. Today it looks just like a tiny cottage squeezed between two other buildings and is now part of domestic accommodation.

PLEASE RESPECT PRIVATE PROPERTY
 
 



 
WRINGTON

Photo by Colin Sinnott

 

This lock-up is situated in the High Street and dates to 1824.
It does not appear to be a listed building.
It was built by local joiner, James Cook at a cost of £41, having been commissioned by The Vestry and defrayed by and from the Poors Rate.The building contained 2 cells together with an office for the Constable which had the benefit of a fireplace. For once comprehensive information is available about this lock-up.

 

I am very grateful to Richard Thorn, webmaster of the village web site, for giving me permission to copy the extensive information available on that site, and indeed to Mr & Mrs D James who compiled it.


Sources:  Specification and contract for building a lock-up, 1825;  Xerox copy of original
MS. (Somerset Records Office, Ref: D/P/Wri). Vestry Minutes (Wrington Parish Records)

" On the 3rd December 1824 The Revd. Mr Leeves proposed to the Vestry that a Watch House be erected on the ground where Richard Challenger's stable had stood. The Vestry approved the measure and directed that a Public Meeting be called forthwith.
On 10th December it was resolved, presumably at the Public Meeting, "that a watch
(this word being crossed out) Prison House be erected by the side of Mr Durham's house, Mr, Knowles to furnish an estimate and plan to the next Vestry Meeting".
On Christmas Eve Mr. Knowles submitted his plan and specification of the "intended Prison about to be erected by Mr. Durham's house" ; the meeting approved this, except for moving the fireplace, and flooring with stone instead of boards, and concluded that  "The said house shall be forthwith erected with all possible despatch and the expense to be defrayed by and from the Poors rate".

On 7th January the following year the above decision to build was ratified by the General Vestry Meeting.
Nothing further seems to appear about its completion or first use, either in the Vestry minutes or the Churchwardens accounts. We know, however, that on the 2nd February an agreement was reached - "between the churchwardens and overseers of the Poor and others of the Parish of Wrington on the one part and James Cook of the same parish Carpenter of the other part".

James Cook agrees with the Churchwardens and Overseers "to erect a prison house adjoining Mr. Durham's house at Wrington of the Dimensions and according to the plan this Day produced by him, and signed by the said James Cook and the said Churchwardens and overseers and others with only this alteration that the Wall next to the Penns stable to be twenty inches thick and built quite independent of the said Stable wall, at the price or sum of Thirty six pounds, and also to erect an Iron
railing in the front, fixed into pennant Stone, the railing to be three feet and half high, the standing
bars to be one inch square, and the others three quarters.  The two inside Cells to be pitched with pennant Stone, in lieu of the said James Cook's paving,the front outside with Nailsea stone of a proper thickness, and the aperture against the penns stable to be supplied with iron railing - the said railing, and plinth to be erected at the sum of five pounds. And the said Churchwardens and Overseers agree to pay the said sums of money to the said James Cook immediately on the Completion of this Contract. The whole to be under the superintendence of Messrs. Thomas Cox, John Councell and Charles Knowles ".
 
 
 
 
 



The office would have been very cosy due to the fact that there was an open fireplace in the office and due to its position on the dividing wall, prisoners would surely gain some benefit when the fire was lit

"This little building still stands in the High Street, adjoining the premises of Mr. P. F.
Bennett: which in 1824 formed "Mr. Durham's house" already mentioned.
Unfortunately the original plan referred to does not survive; but the specification does, which is as follows :
 
     1825. January 7th.

"Specification and Contract for Building a lock up house at Wrington joining to Mr. Jos. Durhams. A Double inch Oak Door with large head nails, Oak Frame to ditto 4 X 4, two inch Oak doors for the cells. Ditto to be hung with pivotts, Lock, Bolts and hinges of good materials and Quality. 1½ in. seats with boxes to ditto for the outside room and seats in the cells, the ceiling joice 4½ X 2 the rafters 3½ X 2¼, the purloins ditto 5½ X 4¼, the whole to be of Red Deal and covered with Queen slate and freestone carcase, with 2½ rabetted Battens and Copper Nails, a freestone Chimney piece and freestone chimney head, the wall in front to be faced with Nailsea Pennant and plinth course
under. The wall to be of common stone as the plan directs, the 2 inside cells to be brick arched and plaistered 1 coat, the outside room to be plaistered 2 coats, and ceiled. -A Nailsea step in front, and a good Banwell or Nailsea stone floor, with 2 grates in the cells for sink. 1 stove grate. The whole to be done according to the Plan and in a good substantial and workmanlike manner, to the satisfaction of the Vestry by me James Cook, for the sum of £36".


 


 
 " We have, however, been able to produce a plan from the existing building, which was purchased by a local grocer in 1952 and is now used as a store room. The building is in its original condition except that the wall dividing the cells has been removed, and the roof is now tiled. The present owner tells us that when he took over the building, the original wooden beds were in the cells and the Constables' desk was in the outer room. These were, however, removed by the vendor.
 
It would appear that the inmates must have spent a very miserable time in their cells. There was no ventilation except for about 5 small holes in each door , the size of a five shilling piece, and as there were no windows it must have been pitch black - and of course unheated. Sanitary arrangements consisted of a stone sink at ground level in the corner of each cell. The Constable had, however, the benefit of a fire in the outer office, and an old account book of the Golden Lion Inn records that meals were, occasionally, taken up to the lock-up, although whether for Constable or prisoner is not altogether clear. There is no surviving record of how many people were committed to the cells, but
considering the speed with which the building was planned and erected there appears to have been an urgent need for it ".



ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo




There is no definitive list of former lock-ups, many of which were demolished when they fell in to disuse as regular police forces were formed with their own holding cells. There is some information about lock-ups in the following places in  Somerset :

The lock-up at Banwell has long gone. The square shaped building near the Ship Inn was built in 1825.


Beckington had an octagonal shaped lock-up which was demolished c1960 to make way for a commercial garage. A sketch of part of the the lock-up (since demolished) can be seen on page 51 of Some West Country Lock-Ups by Leslie Brook.


The lock-up at Bruton suffered a similar fate and although it had fallen into disuse, it was still extant in 1872 when an unsuccessful appeal was made for its preservation. The small building was situated at the rear of a cottage near to the school playground.

The old roundhouse at Ilminster stood in West Street and was demolished in 1858.

There was a lock-up at Langport as far back as the 17th century known as the 'Little Ease'.

The lock-up at Midsomer Norton was demolished in the mid 19th century. It was a small stone square building with an oak nail studded door.

The lock-up at Taunton was known as 'The Nook'  (Sketch in Leslie Brook's book page 81).

An 1830 description of a lock-up in Taunton describes:
'. . . a hole into which drunken and bleeding men were thrust and allowed to remain until the following day when the constable with his staff of office take the poor, crippled and dirty wretches before a magistrate, followed by half the boys and idle fellows of the town.’[2]
(Wikipedia - Village lock-ups)
 
It was said to be dilapidated in 1830 and was probably demolished around that time.
 
The blind house at Wincanton was built in 1791  and was in use until C1856.

At Yeovil the blind house was under 'Le Tolsell' or market in the market square which was known as The Borough. It was also called The Stockhouse and Hell's Gate and dated as early as the 15th century. It seems that later a room in George Court was rented as a guard or watch house which was replaced in 1849 when the Town House was erected with police holding cells in Union Street.





ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo








 


SOMERSET. Lock-ups at Hinton St George, Nether Stowey and Coleford.

 
 
 
From time to time, lock-ups are put up for sale and become privately owned.
The lock-up at Hinton St George is a good example of this.
 
 The lock-up probably dates to 1804, as inscribed on a lintel,and was originally on the village green. It is built from hamstone and brick and the roof  has been replaced by corrugated iron sheeting. It has the original barred door with peephole which has been inserted into a new doorway on the side of the building. The original doorway on the end has been partially filled in and a window inserted. A circular stone ventilation opening above gave some light. The interior has a fine barrel-vaulted roof. There is also a stone insert inscribed 'J. Irish, 1954' which is the likely date of the conversion.
In 1830 it was used to store the goods of a pauper and two years later held the pauper herself.
In 1930 a private house was built on the green alongside the lock-up which is now within the grounds of that property at 27 The Green, TA17 8SQ. It is now used as a store. 

PRIVATE PROPERTY.
 
 

HINTON ST GEORGE
 
All photo's by Alan Keene with expressed permission
 
I am grateful to Alan Keene for sending me these photographs.
 
 




1804 on the lintel




oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo



A Grade 11 listed 17th century holiday cottage at Coleford known as The Turrets,
was formerly the village lock-up

PRIVATE PROPERTY




ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo



The lock-up at Nether Stowey has been renovated and is now used as
an open shelter and information point.

 
 
 
NETHER STOWEY

Photograph by Neil Owen
 Copyright Neil Owen  and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence
 
I am grateful to Neil Owen for the use of his Geograph photograph
 

Known as The Old Gaol, the building is situated next to the Bell Tower in Castle Street, TA5 1LW.
The date of construction is now known but it was built over a stream which would have facilitated waste removal.
 
A story is told about the 1870's when a foreigner and his tame bear arrived in the village seeking lodgings and they were in fact accomodated together in the lock-up. They emerged the following morning in rude health as witnessed by an assembled crowd.
 
Another story (probably apocryphal), being repeated at a number of lock-ups, tells of the wife of a man, detained in the lock-up, feeding him with beer through a long clay pipe by pushing the end of the stem through the keyhole. The man was then able to suck the beer from the bowl of the pipe which his wife inserted into a pot of beer.
 
 
 
 
oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
 
 
 
 
 



SOMERSET. Lock-ups at Brompton Regis, Monkton Combe and Westbury on Trym.


 
 
The lock-up at Brompton Regis is a fairly crude affair reminiscent of a domestic garage with a sloping roof of stone slabs.  It is situated oppoosite the S.E gate of St Mary's Church, TA22 9NN.
It does not appear to be a listed building but it is a Scheduled Ancient Monument.
The date or any other details of its history are not known.
 
 
 
BROMPTON REGIS
 
All photo's by Tony Ethridge with expressed permission
 
I am grateful to Tony Ethridge for allowing me to copy his Flickr photographs.
 
 
 
 
 
No doubt is was quite a sombre experience to spend time in this lock-up, but one saving grace seems to be the size of the large door grille giving much needed ventilation and maybe the prisoner could see what was going on outside. On the other hand it seems to be large enough to contain two cells so maybe the grille only covered a passageway. It would be interesting to see inside this one.


 
 
 
ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
 
 
 
The lock-up at Monkton Combe is situated in Mill Lane, BA2 7HD.
It has two cells and dates to 1776.
It was restored in 1954 and a new door was fitted in 1968, constructed from 2" English Oak and the frame 4"x3" English Oak. A metal grille was inserted as required and, as a feature false antique mild steel wrought iron hinges were affixed. Addition features are the raised beads, also in oak, and antique studs.  Further repair was carried out in 2003.
 
 

MONKTON COMBE

OS Grid Reference: ST7735661971
OS Grid Coordinates: 377356, 161971
Latitude/Longitude: 51.3564, -2.3266

 
Photo by Rodw on Wikipedia
 
I, the copyright holder of this work, release this work into the public domain. This applies worldwide.
In some countries this may not be legally possible; if so:
I grant anyone the right to use this work for any purpose, without any conditions, unless such conditions are required by law.
 
 
On May 15th, 1953, the then Clerk to Monkton Combe Parish Council wrote to The Ministry of Works requesting whether the lock-up could become an Ancient Monument. It was stated that the lock-up was erected in the early/mid 18th century and that up until about 1895/1900 there were stocks outside. The building is approx. 8ft square with a domed roof and built of Bath stone. It is fitted with an iron studded oak door and contains two cells. The last time any money was spent on repairing the lock-up was in 1906 and repairs were now necessary.
On July 3rd, 1953, Mr. D. McCallion from the Ministry of Works replied that the building will be listed as an Ancient Monument. However, they would not undertake any repairs, even when listed. This will be the responsibility of the owners (The Parish Council). The Ministry is only responsible for repairs when it has taken a building into guardianship, but their funds are so limited that they could not accept the lock-up on that basis. However, they would be only too pleased to offer advice on repairs and maintenance.
On September 17th, 1953, Mr. R.S. Simms, writing on behalf of the Chief Inspector of Ancient Monuments, wrote saying he would be in Bath on Friday 9th October and would come and inspect the lock-up and meet members from the Parish Council. He remembers the building as he was at school in Monkton Combe.
On October 9th, 1953, the lock-up was inspected. The historian noted that it was a prime example of a lock-up and of particular interest having two cells. It was also considered to be in good condition. They advised that the following works be carried out:
  • Clean and grout the open joints in the masonry
  • Remove the cement pointing and re-point in lime mortar (2½ to 1)
  • Re-point the worn joints in similar lime mortar
  • Remove the iron lug below the string course under the dome
  • Re-bed the stone jamb at the foot of the inner door
  • Replace the existing frame to the door and treat the door and frame with clear Cuprinol.
On January 20th, 1954, an estimate of £12 was given by Male & Marchant of Freshford for carrying out the repairs. The estimate was accepted.
On March 27th, 1956, a notification was received from The Ministry of Housing and Local Government stating that the lock-up now officially appears in the list of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest in the Rural District of Bathavon, as compiled by the Minister of Housing and Local Government on the 1st February 1956.
On June 11th, 1968, a letter of that date was received from Rowland Coles Ltd., of Peasedown St. John, in which they describe the oak door they had just fitted to the lock-up - 'The door was constructed from 2" English Oak and the frame ex 4" x 3" English Oak and an illustration is attached hereto. A metal grille was inserted as required and, as a feature, false antique mild steel wrought hinges were affixed. Additional features are the raised beads, also in oak, and antique studs.'
All the above information was obtained from Monkton Combe Parish Council records.
December, 2002 - more repairs are now needed to the lockup, mainly replacing mortar. Permission has been sought to do this and we are still in the process of arranging the repairs.
September, 2003 - The above repairs have now been completed and will be added to this section soon.
 
 
 
It was Grade 11 listed 1.2.1956 (No.400163) and described as :
 
Lock-up. Mid - late C18, probably c.1776. Ashlar. Square on plan with a
plinth at the rear. Domical stone roof. Narrow square headed door opening;
plank door with barred peep hole. No windows.
Listing NGR: ST7735661971
 
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence: PSI Click-use licence number C2008002006
 
 
 
 
 
ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
 
 
 
The lock-up at Westbury on Trym is actually built into a retaining wall below the garden
of a converted Victorian school.
It is situated in Eastwood Lane, Westbury Hill, BS9 3AG and dates to the early 18th century.
 The building is let into the garden below the old school house which is now a dwelling. Around 1905 it was used as a store room and then as a carpenter's workshop until c1970. 
It is owned by Bristol Council and  is Grade 11 listed.
 
 

 
WESTBURY ON TRYM
 
Photo by Colin Sinnott with expressed permission
 
 
In 2001 it was reported in the local press that the local council had decided to sell the lock-up after it had sat on their 'void properties' list since 1970. With its lack of natural light it would only be suitable for use as a store, other than its obvious historic value. Apoparently there was a good deal of interest in it and the owners of the old school were said to be interested in buying, considering it to be an integral part of their property.
 
 
 
oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
 

SOMERSET. Lock-ups at Kilmersdon, Kingsbury Episcopi and Mells.

 
 
 
These three lock-ups are all of similar in design.
 
 
The lock-up at Kilmersdon, known as The Blind House, is situated on the B3139 through the village and opposite the Joliffe Arms, BA3 5TD. It was rebuilt in 1835 after being moved from a site beside the churchyard wall where it had stood since 1785. The new site was a small village green where the stocks were sited. It was restored in 1982.
With the door removed it is now used as a bus stop shelter.
 
 
 
 
 

KILMERSDON

OS Grid Reference: ST6957252369
OS Grid Coordinates: 369572, 152369
Latitude/Longitude: 51.2697, -2.4375

 
Photo by Roy Pledger





Kilmersdon Churchwardens' Accounts record the original building :
' 1785.
For Quarrying of Stones to build a Guard House adjoining the Churchyard £1.16s 5d.
Hauling sd stones. £4.10s.
Lime and carriage £3. 8s 6d.
Abraham Hobbs and his sons for building ye sd house £6. 9s 11d.
Joseph Cox's bill for work done at sd house £4. 8s 4d. '
A total cost of £20 13s 2d.
Some expenses which were also recorded are :
' 11th June 1786 - 5d For beer for putting Charles and John Abraham in the Guard House.
September 1768 - 4d expenses putting a Soldier in the Guard House.
1796 - 2s for repairing lock. '
 
It was Grade 11 listed 11.3.1968 (No.267957) and described as :

Lock-up, now bus shelter. C17. Coursed and squared rubble, pyramidal stone-tiled roof with ball finial at apex. Squareon plan. Door opening to roadside with segmental-pointed arch head,
  wrought-iron gate; (studded plank door missing attime of resurvey, May 1985).
Listing NGR: ST6957052370
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence: PSI Click-use licence number C2008002006

 

 
 
 
 
 
oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
 


 
The lock-up at Kingsbury Episcopi whilst of similar design, is octagonal on plan and known as
The Round House. It is situated on the village green in Thorney Road, TA12 6AD
and  dates to the 18th century.
 
 
 

  KINGSBURY EPISCOPI

OS Grid Reference: ST4343121101
OS Grid Coordinates: 343431, 121101
Latitude/Longitude: 50.9865, -2.8073

 
Photo by Roy Pledger
 
 
It was Grade 11 listed 17.4.1959 (No.264442) and described as :
 
Lock-up. C18.Octagonal on plan, coursed, and squared rubble with a segmental stone roof, ball finial, Narrow dooropening in a chamfered frame, studded plank door, strap hinges;
2 very narrow barred "windows".
Listing NGR: ST4342821102
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence: PSI Click-use licence number C2008002006.
 
 
 
Quite often the local Lord of The Manor would pay all or part of the cost of the lock-up
Apparently in 1958 there was some dispute over ownership of the building when the Lord of the Manor's Wyndham Estate was sold off. The Rural Disrict Council claimed that in the absence of any title deeds, the Parish Council could claim prescriptive ownership.
 
 
  
Photo by Colin Sinnott with expressed permission
 
 
 
 
oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
 
 
 
The lock-up at Mells is situated at 1 Rashwood Lane, BA11 3PT
and dates to the 17th century.
 
 


MELLS

OS Grid Reference: ST7261048986
OS Grid Coordinates: 372610, 148986
Latitude/Longitude: 51.2394, -2.3937

 
Photo by Colin Sinnott with expressed permission
 
 

In 1728, The Court Leet of Mells, had presented 'Thomas Horner and the Rev.
Mr Paget to erect a guard house and to put stocks and whipping post in
good repair.' As a result, Horner, who was Lord of the Manor, and the
Rector, had the Blind House erected fronting onto a piece of 'the Lord's
waste.'  Horner's ancestor was 'Little Jack Horner' of nursery rhyme fame.



It was Grade 11* listed 11.3.1968 (No.266749) and described as :

Lock-up. C17. Doulting rubble, dressed quoins, pyramidal stone tile roof with circular stone capping. Small rectangular
structure having central pointed arch door opening in block surround; studded vertical plank door with iron surround
and strap hinges, small square peephole with hinged iron barred grille. Second inner door of similar style.
An unusually complete survival.
Listing NGR: ST7261048986
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence: PSI Click-use licence number C2008002006.




ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

 

SOMERSET. Lock-ups at Bathford, Kelston, Merriott and Nunney.


 
 
 
There are a great variety of building styles amongst the lock-ups in Somerset. When the Parish Vestry or other authority commissioned the building of a lock-up they sometimes stated that the building should be after the style of another lock-up in the vicinity.

The lock-up at Bathford in Somerset is far removed from the 'roundhouse' style with its pitched tiled roof and gable ends containing two cells. It is situated at Bathford Hill, BA1 7SW,
 and it dates to the late 18th or early 19th century.



BATHFORD

OS Grid Reference: ST7888866936
OS Grid Coordinates: 378888, 166936
Latitude/Longitude: 51.4011, -2.3049


Photo by Colin Sinnott with expressed permission


It was Grade 11 listed 19.10.1983 (No.32176) and described as :

Lock-up, now a store. Late C18/early C19, coursed, squared rubble;
pantile roof with coped raised verges. Gable end to road; two plank 
studded doors with barred grille windows.Listing NGR: ST7888766937

 Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.
 
 
 
 
ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
 






The lock-up at Kelston is of similar design to Bathford and also has two cells.

It would have been a damp, draughty place but the only means of real ventilation was

a small iron grille on the door.
It is situated in Bath Road, BA1 9AG, opposite Park Farm Cottage, and dates to the late 18th century.
 
 
 
 
 
KELSTON

OS Grid Reference: ST7005167156
OS Grid Coordinates: 370051, 167156
Latitude/Longitude: 51.4026, -2.4319
 
Photo's by Colin Sinnott
 
 
 
 
 
It was Grade 11 listed 14.8.1974 (N0.399561) and described as:
Lock-up. Probably late C18. Coursed squared rubble. Gable end
on to road. Plank door to left with iron grille, locks and hinges.
There are two vaulted compartments inside.
Listing NGR: ST7005167156


Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence. 





oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
 

 
 
The lock-up or Blindhouse, at Merriott  is attached to the corner of Manor Farmhouse
at 84 Lower Street, TA16 5NP and dates to early 19th century and possibly
late 18th century. Inside the arched roof is stone lined
and there are stone  benches on each side of the single cell.
The well used term 'Blindhouse' presumably refers to the fact that there are no windows.

 

SOMERSET. Lock-ups at Buckland Dinham and Pensford.



It is always interesting to have a look inside a lock-up. Very often they are locked and sometimes it is difficult to find out who has the key. In many cases villages which are fortunate to have retained their lock-up soon lose interest whilst others make the most of their treasure, especially where there is a local history society. Some lock-ups have an
'Open Day'.


The well cared for lock-up at Buckland Dinham is situated at The Green,
St Michaels Close, BA11 2QD
opposite the church and dates to the 18th century, probably c1763
when the parish account books were started.
Entries in the account books are : ' 1809 - paid Mr Harvey for Wm Brown in Gard House, 5s;
1812 - expenses for putting Berriman in Gard House 1s; 1818 - door lock
and lock for the Blind House and padlock 8s; 1821 - cleaning Blind House 3d.
 
 
 
 
 
 
BUCKLAND DINHAM

OS Grid Reference: ST7548251239
OS Grid Coordinates: 375482, 151239
Latitude/Longitude: 51.2598, -2.3527

 
Photo by Colin Sinnott with expressed permission.

The lock-up was Grade 11 listed 11.3.1968 (No.267073) , and described as:
 

Lock-up. C18. Coursed and squared rubble, pyramidal stone slate roof with
ball finial. Small square structure. Door opening to frontage in 4-centred stone
surround, studded plank door. Small oval barred opening to rear in stone surround.
Vaulted stone ceiling to interior.
Listing NGR: ST7548351241
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
:
 
I am grateful to Pauline Short of Buckland History Group for sending me these inside  photographs and information.
 
 
 
 
 
oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
 

 

Another well cared for lock-up at Pensford is situated in Publow Lane, BS39 4BH
and it dates to the mid 18th century. It is a Scheduled Ancient Monument.
The door has been replaced and inside there is a single stone bench
and an iron ring shackle on the wall. 
 
 



 
PENSFORD

 OS Grid Reference: ST6199363760
OS Grid Coordinates: 361993, 163760
Latitude/Longitude: 51.3716, -2.5474
 
All photographs courtesy of village web site with expressed permission
 
 
I am grateful to the village web master for allowing me to copy these photographs.
 
 
 
The old door has been replaced





 
Built into a bank with seating area behind.
 
 
 There is a stone bench inside the single cell and a ring shackle can be seen on the wall.
 
 
 
There is a ventilation slit at eachside of the doorway.






It was Grade 11 listed 24.9.1984 (No.32625) and described as :
 
Lock-up. Mid C18. Rubble with freestone dressings and ashlar domical roof
with ball finial. Octagonal on base. Plank door to front with small slit
vents at the sides. Shown on a 1776 estate map. Scheduled as an Ancient
Monument.
Listing NGR: ST6199363760
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence: PSI Click-use licence number C2008002006






ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

SOMERSET. Lock-ups at Frome and Croscombe.

 
These two lock-ups are on church property.
 
The lock-up at Frome is situated in a corner of the churchyard in Church Lane
(formerly Blind House Lane) BA11 1DN and dates to 1798 (datestone).
It is in a dilapidated state and is currently being used as a churchyard store room. The original doorway is covered by an iron gate which would have given way to two cells.
It does not appear to be a listed building.
It would have been known as The Blind House, hence the approach to it was Blind House Lane.
 
 
 
 
FROME
 
Photo's by Colin Sinnott with expressed permission.
 
 


Security gate


               
Datestone
 
 
 
ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
 
 
 
The lock-up at Croscombe is actually inside the church.
 
 It is situated in the Treasury, a two storey chamber which is attached to the south west corner of the church of St Mary the Virgin, Church Street, BA5 3QS. This strongly barred chamber was added between 1496 and 1513 as the Treasury and later used as the Parish Armoury.It was subsequently used as the village lock-up but the dates are not known. The entrance to the lock-up is inside the church. The church was Grade 1 listed 2.6.1961.
 
 
 
 
CROSCOMBE
 
Photo's by Colin Sinnott with expressed permission.
 
 
 


 
 
The entrance to the lock-up is inside the church.
 
 
I am ever grateful to Colin Sinnott for sending me these photographs.
 
 
 
 
 
ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo